(1) A statement weighing 1 1/2 pounds must be represented as "Net Wt. 24 oz (1 lb 8 oz)," "Net Wt. 24 oz (1 1/2 lb)," or "Net Wt. 24 oz (1 1/2 lb)."
(2) When referring to more than one item being weighed together, the first item written on the scale is the weight of what was placed on it. So, if you were to write the weight of something as well as its quantity, you would put the weight before the quantity. For example, if a box of cereal had a weight of 24 ounces and there were 20 boxes in the case, the person checking the weight would read "Net Wt. 480 oz (20 lbs)" instead of "Net Wt. 48oz."
The basic formula for writing the net weight of a single item is Weight x Quantity = Net Weight.
So, for example, if you were to write the net weight of something that was measured in teaspoons, tablespoons, and cups, you could use this formula: Weight in tsp x Volume in tbsp x Number of tablespoons per cup = Net Weight in oz or g.
When you are weighing a single item that is measured in kilograms (kg), pounds (lb), stones (st), or grams (g), you can just write down the number and then add up the parts.
Where the phrases "net weight" or "net mass" are not used, the amount of contents must always reveal the net quantity of contents. For instance, "453 g (1 pound)" or "Net Wt 1 pound (453 g)" or "Net Mass 453 g (1 pound)". For instance, "Net Weight: 12 oz. (340 g)".
In the case of packaged foods that contain both liquid and solid ingredients, it is important to be aware of the weight of the container as well. For example, if a package has the weight printed in grams then it is also likely that it contains grams of ingredients. If not, then check the ingredient list for sugar content, sodium level, etc. Containers can change shape and size depending on their material composition so be sure to check all packages before use.
The term "pound" is used to describe different units of weight across the world. In the United States, the "pound" is defined as 453.6 grams, but other countries may define their own versions of the pound. It is important when working with weights that you remember this distinction as errors can occur due to using pounds instead of grams.
It is important to note that when working with kilograms you need to multiply the weight by 0.4536 to get the actual number of grams within the kilo-gram. For example, if you were to weigh 100 grams then the actual weight would be 45.3 grams. Multiplying 100 by 0.
When describing the net quantity of contents in terms of weight, the word "net weight" should be used. It is optional to use the terminology "net" or "net contents" in terms of fluid measure or numerical count. For example, a container holding 10 pounds of rice and 2 gallons of water would have its total weight listed as 20 pounds net.
When describing the net quantity of contents in terms of volume, the word "net" or "net contents" should always be used. It is mandatory to use the terminology "net" or "net contents" when referring to liquid measure. For example, a bottle that holds 5 cups of water would have its total volume listed as 6 cups net.
It is important to understand that while "net weight" and "net quantity by volume" are both acceptable ways of describing the result of removing all visible, identifiable material from some commodity, they give different amounts for those materials. This is because each type of measurement ignores some physical properties of the item being measured. For example, if we were to use net weight to describe some rice then we would have to assume that it was all the same size so that there was no loss due to varying sizes of grains.
The weight of an object without packing or container weight is referred to as its net weight. The term "net" means without any additional weight such as a box or container. Net weights are used in shipping documents and calculations.
Net weight can be either dry or wet. With dry net weight, all the contents of the container are dry. With wet net weight, some of the contents may be water.
For example, if you pack sand into a box and that box weighs 10 pounds, then the sand is responsible for 90 percent of the box's weight and it has a dry net weight of 8 pounds. The remaining 10 percent is water, so the box has a total weight of 9 pounds instead of 10 pounds.
Dry and wet weight values should be indicated on shipping papers. If they're not, you cannot ship the product involved. Dry weight is usually listed first, followed by the wet weight. For example: 5 ounces dried ginger, 2 pounds fresh blueberries, and 15 gallons water. The total weight of these items is 31⁄2 pounds, which is more than 32 pounds (the maximum allowed by most carriers) because ginger is heavier than blueberries and water is heavier than milk.